We are dedicating this corner of the interweb to highlight some incredible people and projects. We are constantly blown away by how awesome people are. Every donation, every mask made, and every delivery are important acts. These stories and examples do not diminish other efforts, they raise us all up and give examples of how we might serve our communities.
- May 13, 2020. Mask Match. The good people over at Mask Match have put 528,349 masks in the hands of medical providers around the country! By the time you read this, that number is old. Check out their video below.
- April 21, 2020. Aloha Mask. PhD students Sergey Negrashov and Chris Ketter began this venture after stumbling through making a few masks. Now, these folks are producing kits for others to develop masks. “Our innovation is using the FabLab laser cutter to mass produce mask kits for volunteers with sewing machines to assemble and donate to any organization that needs them.” Aloha Masks anticipates producing materials for 400 masks per day!
- April 17, 2020. The Science Squad. To be clear, they do not call themselves The Science Squad because who would? We gave them that moniker because its shorter than the team of 60+ scientists, engineers, and students from a myriad of universities and private institutions who developed https://www.n95decon.org/, which is “[a] scientific consortium for data-driven study of N95 filtering facepiece respirator decontamination.” (Also, our name is fun.) These folks are smart, motivated, and working tirelessly to extend the life of masks for the medical community. Thank you Science Squad!
- April 15, 2020. The Pensacola Mask Sewers. The Founder of this Florida sewing group started recruiting people in late March. The group now has over 2,700 sewers and has donated more than 7,000 masks! Thank you, Pensacola Mask Sewers. (Interested in joining their ranks? Here is the link to their Facebook page.)
- April 11, 2020. The LBI Sewing Brigade. Okay, these folks are impressive, but they also have the best name we have come across. Who doesn’t want to be apart of a sewing brigade. Sign us up! Here is the link to their Facebook page. It is a wealth of knowledge. Please visit. You will be better for it.
- April 9, 2020. American Healthcare Association. The AHA issued a 100 million mask challenge to the nation. The link above is a wealth of mask content for the public so that the AHA can reach its goal.
- April 8, 2020. The Amish. The Amish in Lancaster County, PA are stepping up in this time of crises. They have worked together to produce over 500 mask making kits. Each of these amazing kits have the materials to produce 50 masks! You don’t have to be great at math to know that we are talking about a lot of masks. This is people power at its best. Thank you to the Amish community of Lancaster County.
- April 3, 2020 – Miracle Masks. A high school student named Sophia started this organization. This hero lives with leukemia and makes masks for her local hospitals. “Miracle Masks is dedicated to bringing a flicker of joy into the hospital, pushing out the isolation, sadness, and anxiety.” What an inspiring young woman! She has now created a Covid-19 section of her website and has collaborated with John Hopkins Hospital in providing acceptable designs for the pandemic. Please visit her site and let her know how amazing she is. If you aren’t a sewer yourself or just want to show Sophia support, please consider making a donation to her efforts.